Music Australia is the key focus in the music education in the school levels. The music education benefits reveal the decades of research and the time proves the experience gained by the Australian teachers and also the way the students are engaged and take participation in music making.
Learning music helps in gaining self-confidence, team work and self-discipline. Music helps students in progressing and learning important areas such as Maths and English. There are countries with a strong focus on music education and they tend to have exceptional scores in numeracy and literacy. Engaging music programs to help are particularly beneficial for students who fail to do and achieve good in school.
There are extrinsic benefits of music and this makes a strong case. It gives people sheer joy and the experience of making music. Most Australian kids can now benefit with the school music education. Yet there is a set back as hardly 23% of the state schools provide this facility, while it is nearly 88% that is offered in the private system. However, Music Australia is committed to offer music education for Australians, regardless of the age, old and young. In this way lifelong learning is supported through music.
There was public response to national enquiry and the demonstration to support all the Australian school children to learn music was well received. Thus, more campaigns, programs and events are held relating to the music education program. Music education in Australia varies with different regions and states. The Australian curriculum aims at working towards offering consistent approach, while each state provides a different program.
· Music helps in the development of kids than all other subjects. It contributes uniquely to physical, emotional, social and cognitive growth.
· Students taking part in music learning also turn to be good citizens. It was found that students participating in the arts programs also include school bands and they are less involved with crime, drugs or other behavioral issues.
· Music learning helps improving the students underperforming. Young children in ages 5-7 who are lagging in school studies and have difficulty in catching up with their peers were also found to be progressing good after starting music lessons that they scored more in subjects such as maths. The attitude of the classroom also showed improvements in the children’s approach and behavior. They show a calm and peaceful approach that the subjects that were regarded to be tough, now seems to come easily and this is because of the confidence and light feel of music.
· Musical training enhances brain function. The musical tasks activate regions in the brain lobes and also in the cerebellum parts. Music is an activity that engages entire brain.
· Music learning is incorporated into other areas of curriculum that with improved music the incorporated music instruction was easy to understand. thus music helps in equipping better and grasping science and maths concept.
Thus, Music in Australia has made a special place and the improvements are apparent in memory, concentration and ability that it is enjoyed more in learning at school.